The Abia State Independent Electoral Commission has released the timetable and schedule of events leading to the Local Government elections in the state.
The election is scheduled to hold in 17 LGAs and 292 wards of the state on December 18, 2020.
Political parties have been instructed by the Chairman of ABSIEC, Prof Mkpa Agu Mkpa to pick interest forms on September 14.
The commission said election campaigns will end on 16th Dec. 2020 while submission of final list/Nomination forms by Political Parties is on Thursday 10th December, 2020.
It added that candidates can withdraw nominations on Tuesday 8th Dec. – Wednesday 9th Dec. 2020.
The timetable and schedule of activities are as follows;
- Collection of forms for Election by Political Parties. 25th September, 2020
- Conduct of Primaries by Political Parties including Resolution of Disputes arising from Primaries. 21st September – 21st October 2020.
- Submission of names of candidates to ABSIEC by Political Parties. 29th October – 12th November, 2020
- Screening of Candidates by ABSIEC. Monday 16th November – Friday 27th November 2020
- Hearing of Appeal / Complaints by Screening Committee. Wednesday 2nd Dec. – Thurs. 3rd Dec. 2020
- Replacement of unqualified Candidates and Screening of replaced Candidates. Monday 7th Dec. 2020
- Commencement of Campaign by Political Parties in Public. Friday 20th November, 2020
- Training of Permanent Staff of the Commission Monday 16th November – Wednesday 18th Nov. 2020
- Training of Ad-hoc Staff. Monday 30th Nov. – Friday 4th Dec. 2020
- Submission of names of Polling agents for the Election to the Electoral officers of the LGA. Monday 7th Dec. – Friday 11th Dec. 2020
- Return of List of candidates declared qualified to contest Election. Friday 11th Dec. 2020
- Announcement of Results. Saturday 19th December 2020.