The command’s spokesperson, SP Benjamin Hundeyin, said in a statement on Saturday that the team was drawn from the homicide section of the State Criminal Investigation Department (SCID).
He said the team had already swung into action with its investigation into the case.
Hundeyin added that the special investigation team became necessary in view of the growing public concerns and the preliminary police review of the general circumstances surrounding the death.
“The team, which comprises seasoned homicide detectives, has been tasked to aggregate all allegations, suspicions and insinuations from various sources on the death of the singer.
“The team is to undertake a professional, diligent and timely investigation with a view to establishing facts, clearing all doubts and ensuring that justice is manifestly served through a meticulous process that will deploy all requisite protocols (which may include exhumation),” he said.
The image maker said that in aid of the initiative, the Lagos State Government had pledged its total support to the Special Investigation Team in all ways required, to guarantee a diligent investigative exercise.
Hundeyin said Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu gave the assurance while consulting with the state police boss earlier on Saturday on how best to ensure that the case was expeditiously investigated and justice delivered promptly.
He said an appeal was made to the deceased’s family, friends, business associates or anyone with useful information that could aid the investigation to kindly share same with the Homicide Section of the State CID on phone number: 08036885727.
“The Lagos State Police Command assures that progress of the investigation will, as much as legally and professionally permissible, be shared with the general public accordingly,” he said.
Recall that on Tuesday, music lovers were hit with the news of the death of the singer, at the age of 27.
Egbetokun had directed Lagos police commissioner to initiate a swift and comprehensive investigation into the death of MohBad.
This directive was conveyed during a brief discussion at the Police Airwing Hangar, Murtala Muhammed Airport, Ikeja, Lagos recently.
A statement by the Force Public Relations Officer, ACP Olumuyiwa Adejobi explained: “Nigeria Police Force hereby earnestly urges any family members or close associates possessing valuable information pertaining to this case to come forward and cooperate with the Lagos State Police Command to ensure that justice is served and the circumstances surrounding Mohbad’s demise are thoroughly examined.”
However, amid the controversy surrounding the death of singer Ilerioluwa Aloba, aka MohBad, the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) says the late musician was not poisoned in its custody.
In a further development, the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA) says the late musician, Ilerioluwa Aloba aka MohBad, was not poisoned in its custody.
Recall that after Mohbad’s death last Tuesday in an unclear circumstance, a video emerged showing the 27-year-old artiste crying on a hospital bed. Shortly after, some Nigerians accused the agency of poisoning the singer during his purported arrest and detention.
In the video, Mohbad claimed he was forced to consume a liquid substance, abused with the butt of a gun and was later asked to go home.
But NDLEA spokesman, Femi Babafemi, said the musician was never arrested nor detained by the agency.
Babafemi also shared a link by an online platform detailing the arrest of six people, two females, and four males, in the persons of Oniyide Azeez (Zinoleesky), Owoeye Michael and Abimbola Ogbe.
Others are Dominica Chinwe, Olaolohun Shubomi Mariam, and Ibrahim Alawo.
“This is an authentic account of the arrest and detention of some Malian artistes in Feb 2022, an incident that has now been twisted by purveyors of fake news to say Mohbad was poisoned or detained by the agency,” Babafemi tweeted.
“I hope, they’ll be bold enough to defend their claims when the hand of the law catches them.”